calibration of snarf

David Brauer dbrauer at ARSERRC.GOV
Tue Nov 8 08:07:34 EST 1994

We have been using several different fluorescein based dyes to
measure pH gradient within epidermal cells of roots from maize
seedlings in situ. Treatment of the tissue with snarf-am under
the appropriate conditions leads to a rather uniform labeling
of both the vacuole and cytoplasm. Therefore, the snarf in
these cells should be in pH environments ranging from pH 5 in
the vacuole to almost pH 8 in to cytoplasm. We would like to
be able to measure this pH gradient. The pH dependence graph
of snarf in the Molecular Probes book makes one think it
should be able to detect pH changes throughout this range. We
have a calibration curve using a ratio of two excitation
wavelengths of 420 and 475 nm at a constant emission
wavelength of 580 + 30 nm.  However, this ratio varies only
between pH 7 and 9. We have experimented with another
calibration curve using a ratio intensities with  excitation
and emission wavelengths of  420 nm and 580 nm compared to
that obtained at exciation and emission wavelength of 480 and
620 nm. With standard solutions, this ratio shows pH-dependent
changes from pH 5 to 9 but the majority of the change is
between pH 7 and 8. However, the calibration does not look as
clean when one tries to do the calibration by clamping cells
at various pH by various means.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am also interested in getting know any other people in the
Philadelphia PA area that are doing ratio imaging with plant
cells.

Thank You for Your Reply in advance,
Dave Brauer
plant Physioogist