How to germinate acorns, chestnuts, horse-chestnuts

Ken Fisler bc151 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Tue Nov 15 06:51:57 EST 1994

>         I've got lots of acorns, conkers and chestnuts and I'd
> like to grow them. What is the best way of doing this?
>
> At the moment I've simply washed and dryed the seeds and I am
> keeping them all in a cardboard box in my flat. I intend to wait
> until spring and then plant them some soil and keep them in the
> dark until they shoot. Then I'll place them outside.
>
>         Does this sound a sensible plan?
>
> Many thanks,

I grow acorns all the time without doing anything. They just
fall off the oaks around my house and take root all by
themselves. (They're a bit of nuisance for me actually. You're
more than welcome to come and take all the little oaklings you
want.) When I bought this old neglected and dilapidated house,
there were even little oaks growing out of the gutters, so I
don't believe you need even a squirrel to put them in the ground
for you.

I'm no botanist, but I would think that all you need to do is
set the acorns on top of the soil, place some oak leaves over
them (that's what works here), and leave them outside during the
winter. (Many seeds need to undergo a freeze-thaw cycle in order
to crack open the hard shell and allow the germ a way to sprout
out.) Use a deep pot; the roots grow incredibly deep (more than
six inches) even before the middle of the first summer comes.

Good luck,
Ken
Ken Fisler              Internet:     bc151 at cleveland.freenet.edu
Looking for a digital edition of Nietzsche's ''Wille zur Macht''.