potatoes

Beverly Erlebacher bae at oci.utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 16 17:18:20 EST 1994

In article <3aa2f3$gkg at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> Dietmar Tietz <Dietmar.Tietz at agrar.uni-giessen.de> writes:

>In the USA, boiled potatoes usually change from yellowish to grayish or
>brownish colors.  In Germany, most of the potatoes retain their nice
>yellow color even until the next day.  What is the reason for this?  Does
>this depend on the potato variety, cultivation (i.e., fertilization, kind
>of soil), and/or climate?

For some reason, yellow-fleshed varieties of potatoes have not been
popular in North America, although they are common in Europe.  Recently
a yellow-fleshed cultivar called Yukon Gold was developed at the University
of Guelph in Ontario and is becoming widely available.  It is usually sold
at a somewhat higher prices than 'ordinary' potatoes.  I've both grown and
eaten this variety, and they are tasty and productive potatoes with a nice
yellow colour even after cooking.

Some farmers in Prince Edward Island have recently developed and released
another yellow-fleshed variety called Island Sunrise, so yellow potatoes
may be taking off on this side of the Atlantic.

I think blue-fleshed and red-fleshed potatoes are still too exotic for the
general public - only aficionados of the unusual grow and eat them!

Hope this helps.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada