Regeneration/Germination of moorland species

LOGAND logand at msdos.montpellier.inra.fr
Sat Nov 19 10:45:43 EST 1994

Dear All

Regular burning is used to maintain pioneer type vegetation and to remove old
mature heather and Erica, to be replaced with fresh plants to the benefit of the
allied animal wildlife (as far as I remember).

My question is this - does the fire simply allow recolonisation by newly
germinated plants due to the lack of interspecific competition or is it known if
the fire in some way stimulates the germination of such species as found in the
related habitats of the South African fynbos and Californian Chaparral?

I would also be very grateful if any could provide reference details for studies
on the regeneration ecology of British moorland habitats.

Thanks

David C. Logan
INRA-ENSA-CNRS
Montpellier