Pineapple plants

George Theodoris ez003450 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu
Fri Nov 18 17:19:10 EST 1994

I have a pineapple plant started from the top of a pineapple about 5
years ago. The plant has grown enormous(probably about 3 or 4 feet tall)
and takes up a large corner of my apartment now that I brought it in for
the winter. My question is: How can I get it to flower? I have been
waiting and waiting but no pineapple yet. A friend of mine told me that
ethylene induces pineapple plants to flower, and that placing an apple
in the center of the plant might work. I tried this but to no avail.
Does anyone out there now anything about pineapple plant biology? How can
I get it to flower?
			Thanks,
			George