Seek Molec/Cell PhD Advice

holtb at OUVAXA.CATS.OHIOU.EDU holtb at OUVAXA.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Sun Nov 27 22:05:52 EST 1994

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  27-Nov-1994 09:37pm EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"plant-biology at net.bio.net" )

   From:  Ben Holt                                   Dept:  Environmental & Plant Biology
          HOLTB                                    Tel No:  (614) 593-1126

Subject:  Seek Molec/Cell PhD Advice

Hello,
	I am approximately half way through my Master's Degree program and I am
looking for advice on PhD work in molecular/cellular biology.  This represents a
change for me because my research is presently in the area of agronomy. I would
specifically like your insight on several important questions.

1)  What are some of the better schools (especially on the east coast) for plant
molecular and cellular biology?  I would also be interested in schools with good
plant pathology programs with a molecular bent.

2)  What are some of the more marketable areas in molecular/cellular plant
biology after completion of a PhD?  What areas would allow a move into animal
biology if the market for plant biologists is thin?  I am interested in teaching
and research in a university setting, but I would like to choose an area of
concentration that is also in demand in the private sector to maximize by future
employment potential.

3)  Does anyone have information about North Carolina State University in
reference to the above questions?  Because of family considerations, this area
has a strong appeal to me and I would like some "insider" opinions - possibly
another graduate student or faculty member.

Answers to some or all of the above questions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to look over my request.

Ben Holt
Ohio University
HOLTB at OUVAXA.CATS.OHIOU.EDU