Twining/Thigmotropism

Friedemann Greulich GREULICH at merlin.biologie.uni-jena.de
Tue Oct 4 21:37:46 EST 1994

Gideon Sheppard Mann (mann at logan.bu.edu / pooh at tiac.net) wrote:

>  I am starting a research project in school on the ability of
certain plants
>to curl around a stick as they grow, a process I think is called
twining.
>What I am interested in is possible sources of information on past
research
>which has been done on the ability of plant sto sense when they have
>encountered something appropriate to curl around.  I have done some
research,
>but have been fantastically unable to locate anything other than
statments
>that this does occur. I was quite distressed at my inability to find
anything,
>and attributed it to my poor researching skills.  Thus, I am asking
for some
>basic help in trying to locate sources on the sensory ability of
plants.

>  I have looked in plant physiology books, but perhaps because I was
looking
>under the wrong topic (twining and thigmotropism) found very little.
 I looked
>in some botany books, but again found nothing.

>  Am I looking under the wrong name? in the wrong place? or is the
ability of
>plants to find something to curl around not researched for some
reason?

>  In any event, any elucidation would be appreciated,

Ther is some literature on hormonal mechanisms and signal
transduction in coiling tendrils:

Weiler, E.W. et al. (1993) Evidence for the involvement of jasmonates
and their octadecanoid precursors in the tendrilcoiling response of
Bryonia dioica. PHYTOCHEMISTRY 32 (3): 591-600

Weiler, E.W. et al. (1994) The Pseudomonas phytotoxin coronatine
mimics octadecanoid signalling molecules of higher plants. FEBS
Letters 345, 9-13

Any discussion of this topics, in bionet or by e-mail, would be
welcome!

Friedemann Greulich                  *  To be a perfect member of a
bfg at hpux.rz.uni-jena.de              *  sheep herd, first of all you
greulich at merlin.biologie.uni-jena.de *  have to be a sheep.
Fax: +49/3641/631237                 *                   A. Einstein