Aquatic plants as pollution control

Shelle Campbell scampbel at rhs.brevard.k12.fl.us
Thu Oct 6 12:50:11 EST 1994

Artificial Wetlands: Help!

To whom it may concern,
        My name is Keith Gilbert and I am doing a research project on the
effectiveness of Artificial Wetlands for the purpose of pollution removal
from freshwater. Last year I used duckweed (Lemna minor) to set up a
miniature artificial wetland system which was used to test against the
removal of Nitrate, Nitrite, Phosphate, Phosphorous, Ammonia, Copper, and pH
levels in the water.  I found that what the duckweed actually did was
decrease some levels of elements but it increased other levels of elements
due to plant activity.  Over all it created a more balanced amount of
elements in the water.  If you have any information that might help me in any
way I would appreciate it if you would send it to me! Thanks!

                                                        Sincerely,
                                                                Keith Gilbert
                                                                Rockledge
High School
                                                                Rockledge, FL

Please respond to my instructor: Shelle Campbell Proctor
scampbel at rhs.brevard.k12.fl.us