Carbon Monoxide and Fungi

Chuck Pullen cpullen at netcom14.netcom.com
Wed Oct 12 11:15:13 EST 1994

I am an industrial hygienist working on a project involving worker
protection from carbon monoxide (CO) exposure during comercial fungi
agriculture.  We have found (CO) concentrations of up to 400 ppm during
the growth cycle.  CO concentrations correlate with Carbon Dioxide
concentrations.

I am trying to find where CO is being generated during this process.  I
have ruled out external sources such as vehicle exhaust.  Does anyone
know a low tempreature biological sourse or process for the generation of
CO?  I initially thought that spontain. combustion of the compost was the
sourse.  However, the growth of the fungus is tempreature sensitive.   The
compost is not allowed to exceed 100 deg. F. which I would think should
rule out simple oxidation as a CO sourse.

Any help, references, or referals would be appreciated.  Please reply to
cpullen at netcom.com  .  Thank you.

Chuck

Chuck Pullen, CIH (cpullen at netcom.com)
Pacific Safety Solutions - Sacramento      Voice:  (916) 687-7993
10215 Davis Road, Suite B                  Fax:    (916) 687-8611
Wilton, CA  95693

   "...to seek, to strive, to search, and not to yield."  - -  Tennyson