Looking for Venus flytrap bulbs

Chris Schadt gash at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 12 23:21:23 EST 1994

On 12 Oct 1994, Kingsley Gordon wrote:

> 	Does anyone know where I can buy Venus Flytrap bulbs via mail?
>   Or, better yet, is there any place in/around Montreal that
>   carries them?
>
> --
>  Kingsley Gordon             |  Hipsters with smooth copper-colored faces
>  ---------------             |  lounge in doorways twisting shrunk heads
>  nk_gord at pavo.concordia.ca   |  on gold chains, their faces blank with an
>  am852 at freenet.carleton.ca   |  insect's unseeing calm. - William Burroughs

I highly recomend a book called "Gardening by Mail: A Source book."
The one I have in front of me is the forth edition, 1994, Houghton
Mifflin Company, Boston and New York.  Written by Barbara J.
Barton.  This book is very useful and well indexed, by plant name or
type, geographic location of the supplier, ect.  Here's a two
good sounding listings under coniverous plants:

California Carnivores
7020 Trenton-Healdsburg Road
Forestville, CA 95436
(707) 838-1630

"Offers a good selection of carniverous plants: droseras, sarrasenias,
ultricularies, pinguiculas, nepenthes, all very well described in the
catalog, which also gives alot of growing information.  There green house
is located at a winery, where they have over 400 varietes on display;
their growing guide is 2$ and the price list is free. (Est. 1989)"

Hungry Plants
1216 Cooper Drive
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 851-6521, 829-3751, FAX 755-0173

"....Hungry plants specializes in carniverous plants: droceras, pygmy
droceras, Venus Flytrap, pinguicals on a breif list -- the names used are
either common or botanical.... expects to be adding new plants soon.
(Est. 1983).... Catalog 2$"

Thirteen plant dealers are listed under carniverous plants, unfortunatly
none of those are in Canada.  The book is suposed to be aimed at North
America in general but seems to be somewhat U.S. centerd.  Of the 13
carniverous plant dealers listed 10 were in the U.S., 1 in England, and
1 in South Africa.

              /\      Christopher W. Schadt | "I never knew how soothing
   /\        /||\     5249 17th Ave NE #6   |  trees are--many trees and
  /||\      //||\\ .  Seattle, WA 98105     |  patches of open sunlight,
 //||\\  .  //||\\/|\ (206) 517-5840        |  and tree presences--it is
 //||\\ /|\ //||\\/|\ gash at u.washington.edu |  almost like having another
 //||\\ /|\ //||\\/|\ Botany Undergraduate  |  being."