super wandering jew

Sean Ebert ug940078 at omega.scs.carleton.ca
Mon Oct 17 15:40:48 EST 1994

Here's an odd question about "super-charging" a wandering jew:

A few days ago, I asked a question about why my wandering jew was growing
roots at its nodes.  I was told that this is perfectly normal; in fact,
beneficial to the plant, in that the new roots allow the plant to absorb
more water and nutrients, and thus to develop a healthier plant.

With this new-found knowledge, I started to think:
"hmm.. if the idea of the extra roots is to increase the 'absorbing
power' of the plant, why wouldn't it be possible to get smaller pots
filled with soil, and place every node in each of the pots.  This would
then make roots grow at every node (assuming you have enough little
pots), and the plant would be 'multiple-rooted' over many pots!!  HA!"

So, we've got something like this:

                     main plant
    stems                      \         +---- nodes
         \                __---_ _---__  V
          __---_ _----_ _/   ___|___   \_ _----_ _---__
              __|__  __|__   \     /   __|__  __|__
              \   /  \   /    \   /    \   /  \   /
               \_/    \_/      \_/      \_/    \_/

                ^      ^        ^        ^      ^
                |      |    main pot     |      |

Pardon the crude ASCII, but it gets the point across.  Of course, this
plant will look like the stupidest living thing that ever existed.. but..
hmm...

Would this actually work?!!

 Sean Ebert : <ug940078 at omega.scs.carleton.ca>
 Computer Science, Carleton University