Silphion Project

Howie Brounstein howieb at delphi.com
Wed Oct 26 02:32:06 EST 1994

*****************Begin Forwarded
Message***************************************

From:   IN%"HERB%TREARN.BITNET at vm.gmd.de"  "Medicinal and
Aromatic Plants disc
ussion list"  7-OCT-1994 17:39:49.46
To:     IN%"HERB%TREARN.BITNET at vm.gmd.de"  "Multiple recipients
of list HERB"
CC:
Subj:   silphion project

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 1994 19:08:08 -0300 (BST)
From: Anne Stobart <herbaid at GN.APC.ORG>
Subject: silphion project
Sender: Medicinal and Aromatic Plants discussion list
 <HERB%TREARN.BITNET at vm.gmd.de>
To: Multiple recipients of list HERB
<HERB%TREARN.BITNET at vm.gmd.de>
Comments: To: herb at vm3090.ege.edu.tr

SILPHION PROJECT This Project aims to establish a reference
collection of North American plants in the UK. and to cultivate
these plants and exchange information.

REFERENCE COLLECTION

The aim is the establishment of a reference collection of North
American medicinal plants at a site in the UK such as a Botanic
Garden, Local Authority Garden, Horticultural College or any
other
garden regularly open to the public.  Such a collection does
not
exist at present and would provide an important educational
resource for professional and public alike.

We are obtaining seed of the 50 North American plants in the
British Herbal Pharmacopaeia.  Correct botanical identification
of
each species is of great importance.

CULTIVATION OF NORTH AMERICAN MEDICINAL PLANTS - TASKS
1.  Select a small number of species for cultivation on a
larger
scale.  This would include some woodland rhizomatous plants.
The
choice would be influenced by data from the US on conservation
status of the plants.

2.  Obtain seeds from as many sources as possible.  North
Carolina
Botanical Gardens have already sent a generous donation of seed
and have promised to collect more.  We have already begun a
programme of propagation.

3.  Individuals could adopt- a-plant ie grow one or more
species,
suitable to their garden, and get to know them well.  This
would
enable us to keep different populations of some plants
separate.

4.  We need to study the best techniques of cultivation and of
propagation particularly for woodland plants which need
specialized methods.  Many of these plants take some years to
mature and are not a commercial proposition to growers for this
reason.  Botanic Gardens in China and Japan have schemes to
bring
similar woodland plants into cultivation for medicinal use.

INFORMATION EXCHANGE Collection of information on the habitat,
conservation status  and collection in the wild of each
species.
We are already working on a database.  We intend to publish a
Newsletter and to act as an information source on the
conservation
and cultivation of temperate medicinal plants.

We are particularly interested in obtaining seed of the
following
plants

Baptisia spp incl tinctoria Caulophyllum thalictroides
Chamaelirium luteum Dioscorea villosa Hydrastis canadensis
Lycopus
virginica Rhamnus purshiana Stillingia sylvatica Trillium spp
incl
erectum Ulmus rubra Zanthoxylum clava-herculis

Do contact me if you feel you can offer information about
cultivation or conservation status of the above.

Anne Stobart, MNIMH

S-mail   21 Dean Street, Crediton, Devon
             EX17 3EN, UK

E-mail   Anne Stobart<herbaid at gn.apc.org>