Sunflower seeds

Harald Kapp kapp at mikro.ee.tu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 1 10:26:26 EST 1994

I believe that I have read an article in Scientific American about sunflowers
(or at least sunflowers were mentioned in that article). The thing that
impressed me was, that the number of seeds in one blossom should be independent
of the size of the blossom. Also the the placement of the seeds could be described
by left- and right-winding logarithmic spirals.

Unfortunately I can't find that article!

Can anybody help me and provide the information either directly or by reference
to the said article?

Please answer by Email to

     kapp at mikro.ee.tu-berlin.de

since I do not use news regularly.