sunflowers

Robert Kuhn rkuhn at biology.UCSC.EDU
Thu Sep 1 12:07:06 EST 1994

I don't know the SciAm article you refer to, but it has always fascinated
me that not only sunflowers, but virtaully =all= plants use the spirals.
If you look at the spiral of the pine cone or the branches on a plant, you
will note that from one point, drawing a line up (or out) to the next branch
(or bract or seed) directly above it, the number of spirals in the right
and left direction required to get to that next spot will not be the same.
In fact the two numbers will be Fibonacci (sp??) numbers, from the Fib...
Series:  1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144, ....  I believe the sunflower
uses the last two.
	Best wishes,
			--b0b kuhn

Robert Kuhn, PhD
Sinsheimer Laboratories       Shake and shake the ketchup bottle
University of California
Santa Cruz, CA 95064  USA     None will come.  And then a lot'll

email: rkuhn at orchid.ucsc.edu                    --Richard Armour