classification of Leguminosae species

Ramon A. Razal rar at MUDSPRING.UPLB.EDU.PH
Mon Sep 5 19:11:40 EST 1994

I am confused as to the current status of classification of plant species
belonging to Family Leguminosae.  The system we have adopted in our Wood
Identification course is to classify species previously considered to
belong to the one big family Leguminosae as members of either Family
Fabaceae, Family Mimosaceae, or Family Caesalpiniaceae.  Is this correct
under current classification schemes?  The reason for this inquiry is
that many recent books I came across with do not seem to subscribe to the
3-family scheme that I have come to learn from my teachers here in the
Philippines.  I'll appreciate suggestions for references, but more direct
replies will be more welcome as I do not have as much access to current
literature where I am now (Philippines).  Thanks a lot.

Ramon A. Razal
Dept. of Wood Science and Technology
UPLB College of Forestry
College, Laguna 4031