Cholesterol in Plants?

Steven L. Manley slmanley at csulb.edu
Tue Sep 13 19:45:40 EST 1994

dkim at unm.edu wrote:
: Hello:

: As long as I am on the subject of plant hormones:

: I had been told many times that cholesterol is unknown in the plant world,
: and yet Ecdysone is a steroid hormone.  So, is it synthesized via
: cholesterol?  Is no food actually "safe" and "virtuous" ?

cholesterol has been identified in some algae, reds in particular.
ecdysones are synthesized from cholesterol in some vascular plants
(e.g. Polypodium vulgare, a fern). cholesterol is present in most higher
plants but in very small quantities; i believe it is generally an
intermediary for the synthesis of other related compounds.

--
Steven L. Manley, slmanley at csulb.edu
Dept. of Biol. Sci., Calif. St. Univ.
Long Beach, Ca USA  90840-4806