Cholesterol in Plants?

Leslie Harrison chmhl at leonis.nus.sg
Thu Sep 15 05:58:19 EST 1994

dkim at unm.edu wrote:
: Hello:

: As long as I am on the subject of plant hormones:

: I had been told many times that cholesterol is unknown in the plant world,
: and yet Ecdysone is a steroid hormone.  So, is it synthesized via
: cholesterol?  Is no food actually "safe" and "virtuous" ?

Cholesterol is present in plants although often only in trace amounts.

Leslie J Harrison                       Internet: chmhl at leonis.nus.sg
Dept of Chemistry
National University of Singapore             Tel: (65) 772 2687
Singapore 0511                               Fax: (65) 779 1691