Morus Nigra

TGray tgray at aol.com
Mon Sep 19 14:19:10 EST 1994

In article <31a6k4$j7j at eis.calstate.edu>, sweislo at eis.calstate.edu
(Stephen P. Weislogel) writes:

Can anyone tell me if the black mulberry tree occurs as male and female?
If so, how does one know if one has a female?  I am interested in making
sure that the mulberry in question will eventually bear fruit and not, on
the other hand, bear nothing but leaves.  Thanks

The black, or Persian, mulberry (Morus nigra) is monoecious (male and
female flowers borne on the same plant).

I have a client with a Persian mulberry, and I notice that it's grafted.
I suspect that Morus alba is the rootstock, since the fruitless mulberries
used as street trees in my area are grafted onto M. alba.  Presumably your
nursery carries grafted stock, since you are writing from my part of the
world.