Stomatal Replicas?

Bill Williams bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu
Fri Sep 23 12:25:58 EST 1994

I would very much appreciate hearing about successful techniques,
preferably with literature citations, for making stomatal replicas.
Oddly, we have been unable to find any references on such techniques,
even after a moderately dilligent search.  Maybe we're using the wrong
term?  We're talking about coating a leaf with some sort of liquid that
will then solidify so it can be peeled off, retaining microscopic
impressions of the stomata which can then be measured for density,
size, configuration, etc.  Silicone?
Bill Williams
bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu
Dept. of Biology