Stomatal Replicas?

Biomancer barosb at alleg.edu
Tue Sep 27 09:38:35 EST 1994

Bill Williams writes
I would very much appreciate hearing about successful techniques,
preferably with literature citations, for making stomatal replicas.
Oddly, we have been unable to find any references on such techniques,
even after a moderately dilligent search.  Maybe we're using the wrong
term?  We're talking about coating a leaf with some sort of liquid that
will then solidify so it can be peeled off, retaining microscopic
impressions of the stomata which can then be measured for density,
size, configuration, etc.  Silicone?

I'm doind something along these lines for my research project, I found a
paper by Kagan and Sachs where they used clear nail polish to copy their
leaves.  Here's the reference:

Kagan, M. L. & T. Sachs.  1991.  Development of immature stomta:
evidence for epigenetic selection of a spacing pattern.  Developmental
Biology 146:  100-105.

Hope it helps!

--BIOMANCER--
Where's that confounded bridge?  -Led Zeppelin