(none)

Philip W. Becraft becraft at GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU
Tue Sep 27 12:05:58 EST 1994

Bill Williams writes
I would very much appreciate hearing about successful techniques,
preferably with literature citations, for making stomatal replicas.
Oddly, we have been unable to find any references on such techniques,
even after a moderately dilligent search.  Maybe we're using the wrong
term?  We're talking about coating a leaf with some sort of liquid that
will then solidify so it can be peeled off, retaining microscopic
impressions of the stomata which can then be measured for density,
size, configuration, etc.  Silicone?

There is a nice replica protocol in the Maize Handbook which is used in SEM
but could probably be adapted to LM.  It uses silicone based dental
impression medium and gives excellent cellular details.

Williams, M.H. and Sylvester, A.W.  1994  Scanning electron microscopy.
pp. 108-117 In The Maize Handbook.  M. Freeling and V. Walbot eds.
Springer Verlag.