Need Help Growing Mushrooms

TGray tgray at aol.com
Thu Sep 29 01:31:05 EST 1994

In article <30rohg$15u at search01.news.aol.com>, coolride at aol.com (Coolride)
writes:

I am attempting to grow several kinds of edible mushrooms for the first
time.  I started from spores, and now have several mycelia pure cultures
w/o contamination.  I transferred the cultures to testubes filled with
birdseed for spawn.  The tubes have been incubated and are ready to be
used in inoculation of the compost (composted cow manure).
QUESTION 1: How do I "mix" the spawn with the compost (does the spawn need
to be under the compost, on top, throughout)?  2: How much spawn do I need
for the compost (can I use just one testube for 40 lbs of compost, and let
it sit and spread)? 3: Do I put the casing soil on immediately, or do I
wait until the mycelia has spread? 4: After I have sucessfully grown the
mushrooms,  what is the easiest way to inoculate additional compost
(transfer from compost to compost?)?

Please E-Mail me with info.

Thanks.

You ought to get a copy of _The Mushroom Cultivator_ by Paul Stamets and
J. S. Chilton (Olympia, WA: Agarikon Press, 1983).  About $25.  This
should answer all your questions.

Gray Shaw (gray_shaw at bmug.org preferred)