spirulina culture

David R. Smith af017 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Sat Apr 1 06:57:18 EST 1995

Spirulina which I understand is not strictly an algae but
rather a cyanobacterium...I am interested in the type used
to feed fish.
Is it difficult to grow.  I have been told it can be grown
in a mild manure tea in a water tank (with sun of course) or
with an inexpensive prep like miracle grow.
I cannot afford to do a lab level culture growing project, and
would like to grow it only to feed my fish, and as a supplement
for my pet dog occasionally.
I was told it grows often in ponds with high nitro content,
but wonder if it dominates or whether other toxic strains could
intermingle.
david smith