Tropical epiphyte pigmentation

Frederick Michael DOROSH dekosser at marge.cs.mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 3 12:47:54 EST 1995

	I was recently at a tropical biology conference held by some students
at a local college, who were at a loss to explain the red pigmentation of
certain succulent-type epiphytes. (Bromeliads in particular)

	I gather that the pigment responsible for the red colouring is a
clorophyll 'substitute', the name escapes my memory and probably my
spelling talents. At any rate, they claimed not to have found any
satisfactory information pertaining to the occurence of this pigment in
epiphytes, to which environmental or genetic factors it may be correlated.

	How far has this phenomenon been researched?

'DKc