The Motorway Plant

Stephen J Bungard sbungard at zenecabp.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 14:04:26 EST 1995

In article <3ltoq9$3i1 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk "Tony Travis" writes:

> archmain (archmain at pavilion.co.uk) wrote:
> : From: archmain at pavilion.co.uk (archmain)
> : Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> : Subject: The Motorway Plant - Danish Scurvy-grass
>
> : I would like to hear from anyone who feels they
> : have an explanation as to why Danish Scurvy-grass,
> : Cochlearia danica, grows along the central reservation
> : of motorways (freeways) here in Britain, but not on the
> : sides.
>
> Hello, Patrick.
>
> It may be that the sides are mown (and probably sprayed with herbicides
> etc.) but the centre is not.
>
>         Tony.

Actually is is quite often found on the verges too - though usually some
time after the colonisation of the central reservation
(median strip for US readers).  Simon Leach, with help from other roadside
halophyte fanatics has been recording the spread in the UK and interim results
have appeared in BSBI News.

I could put you in touch if you would like to discuss his views on this matter
and e.g. the source of teh seed in the first place.  I am supposed to be
helping him with a paper on the subject but the draft seems to be a long time
coming...  (Simon, are you on the Net yet and reading this????)

Now, if you or anyone else would like to send me records of Atriplex
littoralis from similar locations, I could get on with that study a bit
faster ......

--
Stephen J Bungard      aka  sbungard at zenecabp.demon.co.uk       |   DO NOT   |
 If there are opinions in the above, they are mine, all mine..  |THROW STONES|