Q: How to get fresh seeds of Macro - Zanonia ?? (Flying seeds)

mel turner mturner at acpub.duke.edu
Sat Apr 8 01:51:05 EST 1995

In article <3m0m5f$dhu at fstgds15.tu-graz.ac.at> draxl at mel.tu-graz.ac.at (Heinrich Draxl) writes:
>In article <mturner.514.000FC92F at acpub.duke.edu>, mturner at acpub.duke.edu (mel
>turner) says:
>>In article <3lghn0$cjq at fstgds15.tu-graz.ac.at> draxl at mel.tu-graz.ac.at
>(Heinrich Draxl) writes:
>>>Does anybody know, how to get fresh seeds of Macro - Zanonia ?
>>>We are doing some investigation on the flight performance of these seeds.
>>>A few pcs would be enough, but if we could get a whole fruit we would be very
>>>happy !
>>Another good flying seed is that of Pithecoctenium in the Bignoniaceae.

>Thank you for the Info.
>Do you have fresh seeds of Pithecoctenium ?

    Sorry, but all I ever saw were seeds borrowed from herbarium specimens.
They are, I think,  like those of Zanonia in that when dropped they tend to
smoothly glide  a long distance horizontally (like small paper airplanes)
rather than just fluttering or spinning downward like most winged seeds &
fruits.    They were fun items with which to "experiment" (i.e., play), I
recall.
good luck, mdt