Propagating lemon trees from cuttings?

Julian Cuevas fzcuevas at rocky.ucdavis.edu
Thu Apr 13 18:11:16 EST 1995

Marilyn H. Fetterman (AN700018 at Brownvm.brown.edu) wrote:
: In February I took cuttings from a lemon tree, dipped the ends in Rootone, put
: each cutting in moist, sterile sand and enclosed each in a plastic bag.  Not
: noticing any external evidence of growth and getting rather impatient three
: weeks ago, I inspected one and there was no evidence of root formation.  Two
: weeks ago I checked another and yesterday, the third---nothing.

: The cuttings were all green ends of branches with leaves.  The leaves still
: look fine but I am starting to wonder if these cutting will ever root.

: Any advice will be most welcome.  The lemons from this tree are huge, larger
: than grapefruit, with rough skins.

: BTW, if an expert on citrus varieties reads this posting, I am also trying to
: identify and get seeds (or a cutting) from a type of lemon I only know of as
: "rough lemon."  These lemons are the size of large oranges, rough textured,
: and do not taste as acidic as regular lemons.  The only place I have ever seen
: them is in Eastern Equatoria Province of the Southern Sudan, where Italian
: missionaries planted the trees in the 1940s.

: Marilyn H. Fetterman
: AN700018 at Brownvm.brown.edu

Rough lemon is a quite common rootstock for several citrus species. You
can find it elsewhere. Ask some nurseries specilized in Citrus. BTW I
don't think you can\may\want to eat its fruits. Citrus propagation: most of
the citrus are propagated by grafting (mainly for commercial purposes),
but at least some of them may be also propagated by rooting. During my
years of graduate student I compared rooting ability of several
rootstocks and scions and I can still remember huge differences between
species. I'm not sure, but it's possible that lemon would be a
hard-rooting species. I'll try to confirm it for you. Good luck, anyway.