Proliferous Leek

Ray Warner rwarner at cix.compulink.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 03:46:34 EST 1995

I am doing research into perennial alternatives to common vegetable
plants - and have seen a victorian reference to a "Proliferous Leek".
This appears to be the Leek equivalent of the Eqyptian Onion (Allium
cepa. Proliferum Group), which bears bulbs as well as flowers on it
flowering stalks. It has been suggested to me that the leek may actually
be Babbingtons Leek (Allium Ampeloprasum var. babingtonni) but that
variety seems to hev been known at the time - suggesting at least
varieties.

I am also generally interested in onions of the Aggregatum and Proliferum
group and would appreciate any info. on offer.
Ray Warner