SCALE

Nancy Pergam ez050387 at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Tue Apr 18 10:20:43 EST 1995

On 18 Apr 1995, Lisa Ruffe wrote:

> I''M HAVING PROBLEM WITH SCALE ON MY SAGO PALM.
> WHAT KIND OF CHEMICAL WOULD I USE, I'M REALLY
> LOOKING FOR SOMETHING
> THAT  IS NOT TOXIC.
>
> LISA :)

scale is a huge problem.  i would first of all suggest that if the palm
is in a pot, remove it from any proximity to other plants.  scale seems
to jump from plant to plant really fast.  the best treatment is with volk
oil, it is a petroleum spray...not totally toxic, but not one 100%
chemical free.  there is also an isopropyl alcohol/water mix you can make
to spray the palm... 1-2cups of alcohol/quart H2O...test this on a small
area of the plant first to make sure it doesn't hurt it.  or you can pick
off the scales by hand, or attack them personally with an alcohol doused
cotton ball..   you might also try asking your local nursery for organic
pest control suggestions, or your local cooperative extension.

hope this helps.