SCALE

Maarten van Helden Maarten.vanhelden at medew.ento.wau.nl
Wed Apr 19 02:39:07 EST 1995

In article <3n0h9u$miu at niven.ksc.nasa.gov>, ruffel at bonsmtp.ksc.nasa.gov says...

>I''M HAVING PROBLEM WITH SCALE ON MY SAGO PALM.
>WHAT KIND OF CHEMICAL WOULD I USE, I'M REALLY
>LOOKING FOR SOMETHING
>THAT  IS NOT TOXIC.
>
>LISA :)

I assume not toxic only refers to humans and not to the scales.
If the plant is not too big just clean it with a sponge and some water
this will remove a lot of the scales.
You could ty to find a good systemic insecticide, that is a pesticide
that is taken up by the plant and transported through the whole
plant (I assume you do noy inted to eat the sago). Here in Holland you can buy so-called plant-pin, strips of
cardboard impregnated with an insecticide. Just stick the into the soil,
give a good watering and the insecticide will be taken up by the
plant and kill the insects. This works very good with scale which are
relatively insensitive to sprays since they are protected by their scale.
Don't be disappointed when the do not disappear immediately, the empty
sclae will stay on the plant even though the little bugger underneath is
terminated.

One of the things which appears to help against scales, even though it was
never intended as such is what we call "leaf-gloss". It can be used to make your
leaves look clean shiny and healthy. severeal manufactures sell
different types. Try to find a water-based version on the basis of fatty acids.
this can be sprayed on the leaves and will make a very thin shiny layer on the
leaves which even protects them against dust. This stuff apparently also covers
the scales and this seems to bother them (respiration ???). At first I was rather
sceptic about it but it really works. My plant (a big monstera deliciosa) looks
very healthy (maybe a bit too glossy), and the scales have been reduced to
virtually 0.

Hope it works on your palms !!!