Wild rose seed germination

jacksp01 at tigger.stcloud.msus.edu jacksp01 at tigger.stcloud.msus.edu
Mon Apr 17 14:52:38 EST 1995

I am a graduate student at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota
I also own a business which grows native plant species and restores
native plant communities. Currently there are several native plant
species which are difficult to germinate. Rosa arkansana, wild prairie
rose is one such species. It typically takes our greenhouse grower two
growing seasons to germinate wild roses from seed. She has tried scarifying
the seed with sandpaper. She has tried acid treating the seed with sulfuric
acid. She has tried seeding freshly collected seed and overwintering outside
She has tried seeding two year old seed. So far the same result is always
achieved it takes two growing seasons from the time the seed is put in the
ground, until the time the seed germinates. I would like to develop an
experimental plan, which will test methods of speeding up the germination
process. If someone out there has done similar research, I would welcome
your feed back, good or bad. Please respond @ jackp01 at tigger.stcloud.msus.edu
Paul Jackson