Two questions: light and jade plants

Lummy Lummy at ccnet.com
Sat Apr 22 15:10:39 EST 1995

hodgesc at math.vt.edu (Chuck Hodges) wrote:

> Question 2.)  I have a jade plant (tree) that I have had for two years.
>  It has grown very little.  It looks very healty, just short.  It is
> only about 6 inches high and it was about 5 inches high when I bought
> it.  I would like to know exactly how to care for it so that it has a
> chance to thrive.

As for the second question, my guess is that the jade plant was planted in
a container much to big for it.Leaf growth will be encouraged if the roots
are slightly bound. If there is a lot of room in the pot then the roots
will grow but the plant won't. Also Succulents prefer shallow pots to deep
ones. They also require a free draining compost.They love an outdoor period
during the summer,south facing the sun is ideal.
	As for watering,during the winter,water infrequently. Once every
month or 2 should be fine. During the growing season(spring to autumn),water
and feed thoruoghly whenever soil begins to dry. I hope this helps out
Kelly Bedell-Lum                  Internet:  Lummy at ccnet.com