arid climate/drought tolerants

Martha Niemann martikay at u.washington.edu
Sun Apr 23 00:10:04 EST 1995

I have a piece of property in arid Eastern Washington that I would like
to plant something on. It is now vacant, sagebrush and wildflower land,
but we have hopes of building on it one day. Until then, however, I would
like to have just one or two shrubs/bushes on it that I planted as a
symbolic jesture, but I don't know what would survive. There is no water
source, and I live in Seattle, therefore I have no way to nurture it. No
one here even believes that plants do grow in E WA, but I know something
must. I considered cactus, but there is none natively around. Would it
survive/thrive? Is it appropriate?
Any suggestions?

Marti