plant identification

Clarke Brunt clarke at brunt.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 01:52:15 EST 1995

In Article <3nk395$8cf at mark.ucdavis.edu> Andrea Via writes:
>There was a plant I saw once that I really liked, but I can't remember
>what it is called.  I believe it is a Hawaian plant and it hung down from
>a hanging basket.  The flowers were in small clusters and the majority of
>the flower was white.  They dripped a honey like liquid and I was told it
>was edible, although they didn't produce enough to do much with.  The
>flowers were a squarish shape before opening then opened to a star shape.
>
>The leaves were simple and opposite.  They were either lanceolate or
>ovate in shape with smooth margins.  They were pinnately veined with the
>side veins close to invisible.
>
>If anyone could give me any ideas on what this plant is and what sort of
>conditons it grows in, I'd appreciate it.

Maybe a Hoya species e.g. Hoya bella (family Asclepiadaceae). Hoya carnosa
is perhaps more commonly grown, but that climbs upwards by twining, and has
much bigger, thicker leaves. Same design of flower though. H. carnosa develops
flowers in subsequent years from the flower stalks of previous years, but
I've never seen bella do this.

Clarke Brunt (clarke at brunt.demon.co.uk