Black flowers

Jeffrey Kirby ez043438 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu
Fri Apr 28 10:48:07 EST 1995

Wow! I just found that picture again. This is the only black orchid I
know of:

Catamodes Black Magic 'JEM' AM/AOS

The reference and picture are in the December, 1990 American Orchid
Society Bulletin in an article by Gene Monnier on Catasetinae breeding.

"Here I combined a rich pink-and-white Catasetum Orchidglade with the red
Mormodes sinuata to try to produce a pastel Catamodes in the red shades.
But in this case the red coloration on both sides intensified the pigment
to an extremely dark red-black. When a plant of this cross was taken in
for judging it received both a high Award of Merit as well as an Award of
Distinction for the 'blackest' orchid the judges had ever seen."

The plant is bright green in the picture with all black flowers except a
little spot of yellow in the center. You won't find it in nature, though.

-J
        Jeffrey A. Kirby -- Jester of Xanadu -- jakirby at ucdavis.edu

Life is like a nebulous signature file.