max. number of poppies

Phillip Bigelow n8010095 at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Fri Apr 28 17:28:54 EST 1995

I wouldn't mind planting a nice batch of oriental poppies in an open area of
the yard, in plain view of the world, so that everyone can enjoy their
beauty.  However, after gleefully sharing my scenario with an aquaintance,
he somberly explained to me that it is OK, provided I don't fill the whole
yard with them. Presumably, (and this "presumably" is the nature of my
question), there is somewhere on the law books a law that says a gardener
can only have "X" number of poppy plants, because of the potential for
illicit harvesting.  (opium, you see).
   Any truth to this rumor, or has my friend been rolling around in the
poppy fields a little too much?
  (I do know that ornamental oriental poppies DO indeed contain small
concentrations of opiate alkaloids....although not nearly in the
concentrations of the true opium poppies.  The alkaloids are found in the
entire plant, leaves and all).

--
                       <pb>
     / "In evolution, sometimes you're a fly. \