invasive exotic vines

Andrew Bishop abishop at gate.net
Mon Aug 7 08:54:12 EST 1995

On 2 Aug 1995, Scarf Lady wrote:

> in south florida, we have invasive exotic vines commonly known as potato
> vine, sewer vine and grape vine.  these vines became very prominent after
> hurricane andrew.  they are strangling many of the native pinelands.  does
> anyone know the scientific names of these three vines? (i believe that the
> potato or air potato vine may be known as dioscorea bulbifera)

We've been contending with Dioscorea bulbifera (air potato) in our back
yard since moving to Fort Myers in mid-1991.  It is a bad'un, but if
youare dealing with a small area infestation (e.g. our yard), dedicated
weeding will do the trick.  PICK UP EVERY TUBER YOU SEE ON THE GOUND< AND
WHEN YOU PULL A PLANT, BE SURE TO GET THE TUBER IT SPROUTED FROM, OR IT
WILL JSUT RESPROUT.  I did get a lot of knocks on the head as the
larger tubers fell out of the trees while I was yanking down vines, but
after a couple of seasons it is no longer in our patch.  Now if the
neighbors (including the rather unkempt back garden of the Thomas Edison
estaate) would clean up, we would be in the clear.  It keeps trying to
get back over our fence, but some Round-up and vigilance at picking up
fallen tubers keeps it at bay.

Those of you contending with kudzu have  my sympathy.  This one is
different- it makes tubers up in the trees ranging up to 200 g in our
yard.  I filled a 30 gallon can with the fall from one oak!

A. Bishop
Fort Myers, FL