Umbellularia californica

Michael Moore hrbmoore at rt66.com
Mon Aug 7 17:06:14 EST 1995

In article <kraska.11.003B8942 at mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE> Andreas Kraska,
kraska at mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE writes:
>From: kraska at mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE (Andreas Kraska)
>Newsgroups: bionet.plants
>Subject: Umbellularia californica
>Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 12:27:44 LOCAL
>
>Hi !
>
>Does anybody know the english or german name of the tree
>* Umbellularia californica *  ?
>The leaves are smelling like a spice ?!

It isa spice in this country at least, often sold AS Bay Laurel Leaves
(Laurus nobilis).  Years ago I had a contract to pick 150 pounds of the
leaves for a broker (for McCormick Bros., I believe).  I have often seen
them for sale in the spice section of supermarkets.  Personally, I find
them stronger and even disagreeably pungent compared to the European
spice.

It isn't that Umbellularia smells stronger because they are
(at least in the US) fresher (Laurel leaves are often gathered after
frost or draught...at least the lower grades we see)...they just smell
DIFFERENT, like Spearmint vs Peppermint.

Conversely, Umbellularia was a homeopathic remedy, and the fresh leaf
tincture is very useful for (A) smelling salts and (B) frontal headaches
induced by eyestrain or compensation stress.

Michael Moore (hrbmoore at rt66.com)

(FTP and WWW)
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/
Southwest-School-of-Botanical-Medicine/
(WWW)
http://www.crl.com/~robbee/herbal.html