BEN # 109

Michael Moore hrbmoore at rt66.com
Mon Aug 7 16:49:51 EST 1995

In article <4053lq$jol at newsbf02.news.aol.com> Scarf Lady,
scarflady at aol.com writes:
>From: scarflady at aol.com (Scarf Lady)
>Newsgroups: bionet.plants
>Subject: Re: BEN # 109
>Date: 7 Aug 1995 09:15:38 -0400
>Sender: root at newsbf02.news.aol.com
>
>i find that botanical publications which include scientific names as well
>as common names facilitate identification of a species.

Yeah, I agree.  The new Jepson's California Flora isn't afraid to list
common names that are used (by REAL people) whereas I always felt that
Munz cringed when his editors suggested such prosaic lumpen prol antics.

A perfect example of the reverse is a new book on the flora of the San
Juan Mountains of SW Colorado...a needed addition, and in color as well.
The writer worked with the reigning botanical Poobah of the state and
between the two of them they managed to come up with 10 changes in
Family names, 32 new genus names and 112 new species names, then said
that they were not going to give common names...too demeaning or
something.

As beautiful as was the book, I was tempted to trash it outright; after
laying down until the feelings passed, I typed up the old binomials and
pasted them over the new names.

I have since bought a second copy to show my students the ultimate
example of splititus.

Wonder what Linnaeus thinks about all this.

Michael Moore (hrbmoore at rt66.com)

(FTP and WWW)
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/
Southwest-School-of-Botanical-Medicine/
(WWW)
http://www.crl.com/~robbee/herbal.html