Hydroponic (sand) culture of rice

Mike Adams mike.adams at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Aug 9 06:59:01 EST 1995

I have been trying to grow a Japanese rice (cv. Akebono) in a sand culture
system which I use regularly and successfully for barley, wheat, oats and
many other graminaceous plants. The nutrient solution is essentially Hoaglands.

My rice seedlings did not seem to like this system much. The shoots were
very pale and etiolated and all the plants died. They were in a glasshouse
at temperatures of 20-25 C and for some of the time covered to increase
the humidity. A colleague suggested increasing the concentration of Fe
and micronutrients but this was unsuccessful in reviving the plants.

Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong? The sand was sterile, and
I don't think that any pathogen was involved.

Thanks.

Dr Michael (Mike) Adams
Plant Pathology Department
IACR-Rothamsted, Harpenden, Herts, AL5 2JQ, UK
Tel: +44 1582 763133    Fax: +44 1582 760981
Email: mike.adams at bbsrc.ac.uk