Variegation

Albert Adelman bamboo at bamboos.com
Sun Aug 13 14:45:03 EST 1995

I have been growing variegated Clivia miniata from seed and have produced
seed yielding variegates. I understand that the pod parent must be
variegated and that the seed pod must also be variegated. All this seems to
work with Clivia. I've tried the same with hosta, selfing variegated hostas.
After examining hundreds of seed capsules I've never seen a variegated
capsule and I've never produced a variegated hosta. Am I missing something?
Or is variegaation very rare with hosta???
--
Albert Adelman
Burt Associates Bamboo
Email bamboo at bamboos.com