Scale insect

Jennifer Wright ez023517 at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 14 15:44:17 EST 1995

Hello!

I also have quite a problem with scale insects and this is what I know:

As for the life cycle those round raised bumps are the adults and you can
easily pick those off because they don't move far but the younger stage
is where the problem is because the little nymphs crawl around and spread
everywhere.  You don't need to wash off the roots, I don't think they get
down there (I haven't seen it anyway).  Up to seven generations can be
born in one year.

An indepth control method is to monitor when the nymphs are most active
and to treat the plant then.  Do this by putting double sided tape around
some of the branches and keep track of the intervals in which there are
th most crawlers and then treat them the next time you predict them to be
active.  All the while picking off the adults.

A less indepth method is to spray the plant with a mixture of alcohol and
insectidical soap.  I had success on an Hibiscus by just painting on some
soapy water from a cup of water and a bar of ivory soap with an old
paintbrush.  I heard later though that you could add the alcohol because
apparently it helps the soap to penetrate.

By any chance are the plants affected ficus?  That is where I have my
problem.

Good Luck!
Jen