PLANTS/ANTS INFO NEEDED

TGray tgray at aol.com
Fri Aug 18 05:36:50 EST 1995

I'm a professional arborist, and what I can tell you about ants and trees
probably applies to the relationship between ants and plants in general.
Ants are usually after the wastes of sucking insects (e.g., aphids, scale)
when they trail up a tree.  I once read a (serious) article discussing the
resemblance between the back end of an aphid and the front of an ant,
suggesting mimicry.  Ants protect these insects from their enemies,
including ladybug adults and larvae - this has been called "farming."