Oenothera and Gaura

Steve Levine 73631.532 at CompuServe.COM
Sat Aug 19 20:28:17 EST 1995

Over the past two or three years, I spread wild seeds in the fall
all around my yard, and this year, I'm surprised to see
EVERYTHING is coming up.  I have been weeding out all but three
or four specimens of the commonest plants, to make room for the
less common.  One of these overly abundant plants is Oenothera
biennis - Common evening-primrose.  At least I thought it was all
Oenothera until yesterday, when one of them bloomed as Gaura
biennis.  Well, I'm taking some pride in being able to identify
plants almost from the moment they pop out of the ground, so I'm
surprised that plants of two different genera can look identical
prior to blooming.  They're both over nine feet tall back there,
the leaves and stems are seemingly identical in size, shape,
color.  Perhaps a bit more pubescence on the gaura than the
evening-primrose.  Is this the most reliable pre-bloom
difference?  I'll have to weed the Oenothera each year, but I
don't want to eliminate my new gaura in doing so.  Since they're
both biennials, and grow in close quarters, I can't rely on
location.

At one point, I had a similar situation with Scrophulara
marilandica (many plants) and Agastache nepetoides (one plant).
The only difference here is that the latter has unusually
segmented stems.  Other than that, identical, and yet two
different families.
---Steve..