info on pomegranites

Lisa Abbott ez051699 at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Sun Aug 20 23:09:35 EST 1995

On Sat, 19 Aug 1995 until at teleport.com wrote:

> >Ben Levin wrote:
> >: What are the growing conditions for a pomegranite plant?  We had some
> >: seeds outside in our compost last fall which over wintered and sprouted
> >: this spring and are now a few inches tall.  I was wondering if they will
> >: survive outside here in Philadelphia PA (USA).
>
> >I have one but am treating it as a houseplant.  Indoors winters, outdoors
> >summers.
>
> >I have seen them growing outdoors permanently on the isle of Mainau, and
> >my boyfriend remembers picking wild pomegranites as a child in S.
> >Africa.  Let that be your guide:  they like a dry mediterrainian to dry
> >tropical climate.  My mother has grown them as well;  I feel it is safe to
> >say that they don't really appreciate cooler weather.  If you want a nice
> >looking plant, take it inside in the winter.
>
> >Mine loves the hot summer and is very resilient to the heat and dryness.
> >If I forget to water what's on my balcony, the pomegranite's the only
> >thing that's not wilted.
>
> >I am surprised that they made it through the winter.  Interesting.
>
> >-->L.

> >lwiegard at uoguelph.ca                       lynn at snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca
>

> I've grown pomegranites for years in Oregon (northwest).  I winter
> them inside, where they lose all their leaves after a month or two
> (a long, drawn-out yellowing process).  Every spring, they
> resprout so thickly that I'm hard-pressed to keep them trimmed.
> Winters are rain, snow, and ice-cold.  I don't do anything to keep
> the plants warm except leave  a couple
> inches of leaves on top of the pot.  They just stay in the garage.
>
> I get lots of flowers and immature fruit.  I don't know anyone who
> gets mature fruit in this part of the country.
>
>     - Tara K. Harper
>
> /   Even a thought   /
> /      Even a possibility can shatter us and transform us   /
> /               - Nietzsche   /

	My parents have three large tree-like pomegranites in the front
yard in California in the Bay Area.  We don't get snow, but they do fine
with lots of rain.  They produce fruit every year, so I always took it for
granted.  Two of them are close together and they produce pale, sweet
fruit.  The one that is off by itself produces deep red, slightly sour
fruit.  Good Luck!

Lisa Abbott
lmabbott at ucdavis.edu