Good Identification Books

Dale Woika dww5 at
Mon Aug 21 13:09:21 EST 1995

In article <clarkl.3.302F7BEE at> clarkl at (Lisa Clark) writes:

>Could anyone recomend a good beginners book, for indoor/outdoor, plant and
>tree identification?  I'm new at this and looking for a good source to start

Trees are fairly easy to ID; there are only 1000 or so you need to
differentiate in N. America.  As a beginner, any of the tree guides, i.e.,
Peterson, Audobon, etc., will be good enough.

As for plants, it would be hard to beat Newcomb's Wildflower Guide.  The
decision tree for ID of plants is excellent!, & works nearly every time.