*** COPIED FROM: >>>gardeners/general 5157 rwarner(240)22Aug95 23:00

keith kdmuelle at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Aug 24 00:14:17 EST 1995

rwarner at cix.compulink.co.uk ("Ray Warner") wrote:

> Heritage Tomatoes
> I am growing 7 varieties of heritage toms this year, as a perennial plant
> it
> should be possible to over-winter cuttings - has anyone tried this, and
> if so -
>
> what is the secret?

No big secret really. As long as you're not trying to get fruit from
them.  Start rooting a cutting now in sand or whatever and keep moist.
When winter starts in just keep them growing rather slow by holding
back the water (reduces legginess). You might need to prune them some
to keep down the size as well. Give them good light. They should hold
up till next year.

This is what I do to maintain my <Lycopersicon hirsutum> plants.