What is >> Boswellia <<?

Kelly McGrew kmcgrew at halcyon.com
Sun Aug 27 09:30:28 EST 1995

The only reference I can find to Boswellia is in the Encyclopedia
Britannica (15th ed., copyright 1987), vol. 4, page 940.  The article
there indicates that Boswellia is the genus of trees from which
frankincense is obtained.  The source is especially B. frereana, B.
bhaw-dajiana, and B. carteri.  Incisions are made in the trunk of the
tree and the frankincense is the juice which exudes from the tree,
hardening upon exposure to air.

There may be other species with medicinal uses, but I've not found
them.