What is >> Boswellia <<?

Piers Trehane Piers at indhort.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 27 04:41:08 EST 1995

In article <41guva$poo at nntp.igs.net> curryk at cnwl.igs.net "kevin curry" writes:

>         I'm looking for any (and all) information about a plant named,
> "Boswellia Serratta", or "Boswellia Sevvatta". (Not sure of correct
> spelling.) Any infomation will be greatfully received.
> ie: Correct name(s) Common or otherwise, medicinal uses, cultivation,
> general appearance etc.. etc..
>
> Post or email at your discretion. Thanks.
> ttyl

You mean _Boswellia serrata_ from India.  There are about 24 species of
_Boswellia_ in the Old World but the only use for this species that I have
recorded is for charcoal burning and for light timber.  Deciduous trees
with papery bark in the family Burseraceae.
 Piers Trehane  -  Editor of "INDEX HORTENSIS"
 Hampreston Manor, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 7LX, UK
 piers at indhort.demon.co.uk