Croton Oil

Chris Heider heiderc at
Sat Dec 2 15:08:31 EST 1995

In Latin America, found primarily in second growth forests, species of
Croton are used for all kinds of stuff.  I don't have a reference for C.
tiglium, but I do know that C. lechleri is a tree that has potent
antifungal/antiviral properties.  A drop of the sap (reddish-bronze) is
put on the skin and foams into a lather and seems to do the
trick on infamous "jungle rot".  It is also a common ingredient in soaps
for such a purpose.

Other species, C. persicaria have had morphine-like alkaloids (Tiwari,
1981),; Schultes and Raffauf found that the Witoto Indians of Columbia
use the leaves of C. glabellus for eczema-like symptoms...

All kinds of stuff...but I don't know anything about C. tiglium or if its
sap will promote tumor growth.

Chris Heider